Sunday 14 April 2013

Stormwind City Guard winding down.

All good things must come to an end, and a little over a year after this experiment started that time seems to have come for the democratic guild on Magtheridon as well.


A couple of months ago, many raiders left and it was difficult to find replacements. Eventually, even more left and two months ago it was decided to disband the raid team.


This followed a period of extremely little political activity (such as votes being generated or even problems being discussed in guild chat). It's unfortunate for me that much of this happened during my graduation which means I had no time to follow what was happening up close. Nevertheless, this guild propelled itself and solved its own problems for about a year and, I think, brought up both many strengths and weaknesses of the direct democratic form of governance.

One thing that struck me was how even in a direct democracy it takes very little time for a 'political upper class' to form, and that when those people leave, at least in the case of a World of Warcraft guild, there is no guarantee that a new one will step up.

I have no intention and feel that it is counter to the spirit of this experiment to attempt to 'revive' the guild. Nevertheless I've created a final (is the intention) guild event for people to appeal against my decision to let the experiment come to an end: if it gets enough votes within a week from now, we will continue as we were.

One more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment